tessamlewis

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Data Collection Plan

How do we as teachers teach materials that are in dispute? Why are these topics of everyday life censored? And how do we as teachers protect ourselves from these battles? These questions have been changing daily but these are the things I want to investigate. I want to know what is going on in the schools with censorship and why does it happen. I plan to do some interveiws and possibly talk to some students if I could think of some questions that would interest them. I really want to do a case study of a class but with censorship it is hard to find a class dealing with it at that time. I will be talking to a teacher who has dealt with censorship firsthand and hopefully she will be able to give me some insight on what a teacher can do with these issues and how to prevent a case from happening. My collection of this data will be from a one to two time encounter with the teachers being interveiwed. I really have a deep interest in these issues since I will be starting to teach soon. I want to know what to do and how to be a good teacher still and this is what I hope to accomplish with this research.

4 Comments:

Blogger Traci said...

Tessa-
I have some audio that Cindy gave for mine and there is some stuff in there that would totally help your topic, just let me know if you're interested.

1:21 PM  
Blogger jtwrig said...

This is such a great question to research for your case study. You might consider narrowing your focus of censorship. What kind of censorship (books, media, topics in schools etc.) Are you going to focus on the English classroom specifically? What are the sides involving censorship? Are you going to focus on a particular side? I think that you will discover some useful information and probably many questions will develop from your study.

1:25 PM  
Blogger abbylee said...

Tessa-
I agree that it might be hard to find people to interview on this topic; however, I was thinking and you might consider asking teachers and students what their favorite books are then seeing if they are on the banned book list, if they are then you could ask them how they felt about it and what they felt the implications of not being able to use the book in class are. It would be interesting to see how students reacted, or see what they thought about the fact that teachers really have to be careful about the materials they present in class. Maybe take a poll and see what students agree with censorship and how many don't.
I love the idea, it's a really interesting topic.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

How are you defining censorship? Self-censorship (I don't want to teach that because the language will be offensive)? Administrative censorship (I don't want you to teach that because I don't think it's appropriate for our school)?

I'm sure I've left out other kinds -- but I think your definition will determine a course of action. I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with -- I've always been interested in this topic.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home