tessamlewis

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Censorship

I thought my question was going to include censorship and violence. After getting into the info I decided to look at just censorship. With research I realised this area is vast and has a wealth of information. I looked at articles from teachers who were involved in censorship, the effects on students and on their teaching. These battles of censorship are tough on teachers. I saw themes running through most of the articles. The first was how censorship has created fear in most teachers, the affects on students is more harmful than reading the banned materials, and most censors never look at the material in full. They pick out one section that is offensive and ban the book entirely.

I guess my question or where I see the gap in this ongoing discussion is why is this ok? Why for so many years have we been banning books on such minor issues when banning the books makes them more widely read? Authors are starting to censor what they write from the start of their novels so they are sure to be published. How as a teacher do we teach well and not offend people? My questions keep going and going. I am not too sure how to focus all of these questions in one way to help fill a gap. With more research I hope to narrow the questions down to one maybe two sentences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home